Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Types of Visas

Nonimmigrant Visas

DS-160 Online Application

Visitors to the United States require nonimmigrant visas.  The type of visa you need depends on your purpose of travel.  Unless specifically noted, all nonimmigrant visa applicants follow the same application process

If you plan to permanently relocate to the United States, please visit the Immigrant Visas section.

Business and Tourism
B1/B2 visas are for visiting family, taking a holiday, seeking medical treatment or participating in short-term business activities like meetings and conferences.  Read more here.

Working in the United States
If you are traveling for petition-based work in the United States on an H-1B or L visa, read this section.

Students and Exchange Visitors
If you are attending school, participating in student or faculty exchange programs, or performing research scholarship, you will need an F, M or J visa

Crew Members for Airlines and Ships
If you are working aboard a plane or ship bound for the United States, you will need a C1/D visa.

Performers, Entertainers and Athletes
P visas are for those traveling to give culturally unique performances in the United States.  Read more here.

Official and Diplomatic Travel
Diplomats and members of some international organizations qualify for A, G, or C visas.   For interview and fingerprint requirements and other qualifying conditions, please read here.

Other Visa Categories
Information on I, H3, K, O, R, Q, V visas is available here.

More information on all types of visas is available at the U.S Department of State website

Not from India or Bhutan?
Some third country nationals (Non-Indian or Bhutanese citizens) may be eligible for the Visa Waiver Program (VWP).  For more about third country national visa and appointment requirements, please read here.