Welcome to the American Library Chennai
Opened in 1947, the American Library Chennai was established to promote understanding between the people of South India and the United States. In addition to its excellent collections in the social sciences, business, management, and American Literature, the Library provides information on the United States, its democratic institutions, history, and politics. The American Library serves the general public, including students, teachers, researchers, government officials, media representatives, entrepreneurs and scholars. General access to the Library is free and intended as a service to the people South India from the people of the United States. Fees for other services apply.
At the American Library a group of dedicated librarians will help you find a wide range of resources, programs and services that provide accurate and up-to-date information on American governmental and non-governmental institutions, policies, the economy, global issues, institutions, society, culture, literature, history and contemporary life.
Thank you for visiting our website and we look forward to seeing you at the Library.
Location and Hours
The American Library
U.S. Consulate General, Chennai
Chennai 600 006
Library Director: 044-2857 4074
Circulation/Membeship Desk: 044-2857 4223/4041/4321
Reference Desk: 044 – 2857 4017/4089
Hours: Monday to Saturday 9.30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Important Security Instructions
- Visitors to the American Library will be given access to the Library facility during working hours on production of valid original photo identification.
Examples of such identification are Passport, Driver’s License, Voter’s Card, Aadhar Card (identify card issued by the Identification Authority of India), PAN Card (Permanent Account Number issued by Income Tax Department), Government employer ID, and School/College/University ID. No other form of identification document will be accepted other than those mentioned above. Duplicate or Photocopy of IDs will not be accepted.
- Children below 15 years need not carry any ID, but they will not be allowed inside the Consulate premises unless they are accompanied by an adult.
- Library Visitors will be allowed to go to the auditorium for Saturday film screening.
- Any large group from academic institutions to the library should have prior approval.
- Personal belongings including cellphones and any other electronic devices should be switched off and deposited at Security. Visitors are allowed to bring in stationary, text books, notebooks, pens and pencils, and other reading materials into the library.
- There is no car/two wheeler parking facility for library visitors at the Consulate premises.
Monday - Saturday
9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
The library is closed on Indian and American Holidays. Please see the Holiday 2015 (PDF 260 KB) list.