Passport services require appointments, which are available for American citizens Monday through Friday from 9:00 am to 12:30 pm. We are closed on the last Wednesday of every month and on American and Indian holidays.
Please arrive fifteen minutes before your appointment to clear security. Mobile phones, electronic devices other restricted items are not permitted inside the Consulate.
Online application tips:
- Complete the address fields completely. If you are in India, your passport will not be sent back to the United States. When you drop off your application, you can designate if you wish to pick it up or have it sent to you by registered mail or courier to an address in India.
- If completing an application without a social security number, you may enter all zeroes as a placeholder.
- Expedite fee: You do not need to select the "expedite fee" option; passports printed for citizens abroad are automatically expedited.
- Please fill out the emergency contact information even though it is not required to submit the application.
- Print the form but please do not use two-sided printing.
- Unless renewing by mail, only sign the forms in the presence of a consular officer.
- Passport applications should be printed and supporting documents prepared before you come to your appointment.
For more information on required documents and the application process, choose your service: Lost or Stolen Passport
- Adult Passport Renewals (over 16 years old)
- Passports for Minors (under 16 years old)
- First-Time Adult Passport (over 16 years old)
- Passport Amendments (includes adding pages)
- Report the Birth of an American Citizen Abroad
Complete fee information is available here. If applying in person, you may pay with cash dollars, cash rupees (at the current exchange rate), demand draft or a major U.S. credit card. Personal checks are not accepted.
Passport Processing Time
Except in emergencies, passports are printed in the United States and take approximately two to three weeks. Please consider this timeline when renewing or applying for a passport. You will receive an automated email when your passport is ready. If you do not receive an email from this office within three weeks from the time your application was approved, please do not hesitate to contact us. Here is the link with our contact information: http://chennai.usconsulate.gov/service/appointments-and-contact-information.html
You may choose any of the following options for passport/card delivery. Please click on the hyperlink below for more details:
Delays in Overseas U.S. Passport Processing
The Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs is currently experiencing technical problems with our overseas passport and visa systems. This issue is not specific to any particular country, citizenship document, or visa category. We apologize for the inconvenience and are working urgently to correct the problem and restore full operability.
Passport applications accepted overseas on or after May 26, 2015 are affected by this delay. If you applied for a U.S. passport overseas during this time frame and have travel plans within the next 10 business days, please consider requesting an emergency passport at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate at which you originally applied.