Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
IRS / Income Tax

Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)

You must complete Form W-7 and include your original, notarized or certified proof of identity documents.  The IRS will accept a Consulate issued true copy of your passport for this purpose.   You may choose to either visit the Consulate in person or apply by mail for this service.  If you choose to visit the Consulate or authorize another person, please take an appointment online.  At the time of your visit, please submit your passport in original and a copy of it. Do not submit copies of blank pages.  Click here for the fee structure to obtain a certified true copy.  

If you choose to do this service by mail, please send us the original passport and a copy of it along with a self addressed envelope with sufficient postage.  Our mailing address follow:

ACS Unit
American Consulate General
220 Mount Road
Chennai 600006

Payment for the service should be made in the mode of a demand draft made payable to the American Consulate General, Chennai. 

If you choose to send in your passport through a third person, please  provide them with an authorization letter and ensure that person carries a government issued ID document such as a passport, driver’s license etc.   

Please visit -- Understanding your ITIN (PDF: 3.69 MB) for more information about the purpose, and its legitimate uses.

Filing Your US Tax Return

U.S. citizens and Legal Permanent Resident Aliens are responsible for filing U.S. federal income tax returns while living overseas. Please visit the Internal Revenue Service’s website at for comprehensive information on how to file from abroad, the regulations and procedures you must follow, and a wide variety of forms and publications to guide you through each step of the process. Answers to many frequently asked questions for those living abroad regarding taxes are available on-line along with the application for Individual Taxpayer Identification Number. If you are transporting currency or monetary instruments abroad, or back to the United States, you will need to file the appropriate report.

Combating Fraud, Waste and Abuse in Federal Tax Administration

The Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration (TIGTA) is responsible for oversight of IRS activities and for maintaining integrity in the U.S. Federal tax system.  Fraud, waste, and abuse in Federal tax administration are unfair to all U.S. taxpayers and can take a variety of forms.  For more information on TIGTA’s oversight function and information on how you can report potential fraud, waste and abuse, please click here.

Tax Forms and Instructions

Please note: Because most tax forms and instructions are now downloadable directly from the IRS website, American Citizen Services (ACS) only a limited number of tax forms available are in our office.  Tax forms may be downloaded at -- Forms and Publications.

Tax Consultants

Consular officers cannot advise U.S. taxpayers about federal income tax matters.  The U.S. Consulate does not have an IRS office.  Here is a list of tax and financial service providers (PDF: 166 KB).

U.S. State and Local Taxes

For individual state income tax information, visit  The U.S. Consulate does not have state tax forms or state tax information.  The Consulate does not provide assistance with Indian taxes.

Adobe Reader

  • Download Free

    All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format.  To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.  You can download a free version by clicking the link above.