MESSAGES TO U.S. CITIZENS
Communal Tensions Possible Following Babri Masjid Verdict
American Citizens Services
U.S. Consulate General
220 Anna Salai, Chennai 600 006, India
Telephone: 91-44-2857-4000; Facsimile: 91-44-2857-4344
Date: September 23, 2010
Dear U.S. citizens:
We bring this message to your attention so you can carefully consider the information it contains. Please pass along the information below to the U.S. citizens in your area. Thank you for your cooperation.
The Allahabad High Court will pronounce its verdict on the Ram Janambhoomi-Babri Masjid property title dispute on Friday, September 24, 2010. In the past, communal tensions over this property dispute have led to protests and sectarian violence. U.S. citizens in India should avoid demonstrations, exercise caution, maintain a low profile, and monitor local media for security updates.
U.S. citizens living or traveling abroad are encouraged to enroll with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate through the State Department's travel website so that they can obtain updated information on travel and security. U.S. citizens without Internet access may enroll directly with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. By enrolling, U.S. citizens make it easier for the Embassy or Consulate to contact them in case of emergency. For additional information, please refer to "A Safe Trip Abroad".
For the latest security information, U.S. citizens traveling abroad should regularly monitor the Department's Internet website where the Worldwide Caution and current Travel Warnings and Travel Alerts can be found. Up-to-date information on security can also be obtained by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll free in the United States and Canada or, for callers outside the United States and Canada, a regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444 . These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays). U.S. citizens are also encouraged to read the Country Specific Information for India.
U.S. citizens with questions or concerns may contact the American Citizens Services Unit of the Embassy or the Consulates General for further information:
- The U.S. Embassy in New Delhi is located at Shanti Path, Chanakya Puri 110021; telephone +91-11-2419-8000 ; fax +91-11-2419-8407.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Mumbai (Bombay) is located at Lincoln House, 78 Bhulabhai Desai Road, 400026, telephone +91-22-2363-3611 ; fax +91-22-2363-0350.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Chennai (Madras) is at 220 Anna Salai, Gemini Circle, 600006, telephone +91-44-2857-4000 ; fax +91-44-2811-2027.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Kolkata (Calcutta) is at 5/1 Ho Chi Minh Sarani, 700071; telephone +91-33-3984-2400 ; fax +91-33-2282-2335.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Hyderabad is at Paigah Palace, 1-8-323, Chiran Fort Lane, Begumpet, Secunderabad 500 003; telephone: +91 (40) 4033-8300.